It can be easy, after a long day of packing up boxes and loading them into a moving truck and putting them into a storage unit, to take the easy way out. Perhaps you start off well when packing up your boxes, but eventually you get to a point and you just do not want to be bothered anymore. It can be so tempting in these moments to just toss things into boxes rather than methodically set them up in the best ways possible. Instead of allowing yourself to give in to that temptation, always consider the high road in self storage packing and pack your storage unit thoughtfully, no matter how exhausted you might be! indeed, the key to an effective self storage unit packing and moving experience all lies in how you first begin to pack up your boxes. If you make it easy on you future self by being thoughtful and careful from the outset, you will find that it is much easier to get through the packing experience because everything will be ordered. Here are a few tips for taking the high road when packing up your storage units in order to yield the best long term results:
- Start with making a list of packing supplies and box types that you will need. This should happen very early on in the process, perhaps as soon as you decide to rent a self storage unit. Having plenty of packing materials and many boxes will help you pack your things in a way that protects them in the long term rather than causes them to get damaged. We all have that tendency to make things work in smaller spaces than we should just because we don’t want to go out to get more boxes, but this will end up causing you headaches in the long run.
- Always have plenty of bubble tape, furniture covers, pallets, and wrapping paper to begin with. Again, this will ensure that your packing process is a good one and will keep you from just packing things without considering the damage that might be done to these items.
- Pack heavy items in smaller boxes. While you might be tempted to pack a big box of books, this simply will not do as it will end up leaving you with very heavy boxes full of items that you can barely carry. Instead, pack heavy items in small boxes, such as books and dishes. Try not to pack anything to amount to more than twenty pounds within the box.
- Clean all your clothing, drapes, and bedding before packing them into a wardrobe box or a large box for clothes and materials. Cleaning them ahead of time will keep them in better shape over the long haul, as they won’t have dust and grime eating away at them during their time in the mini self storage rental unit.
- Always keep this mindset in mind when packing your unit: the goal is to keep things fresh and in good condition until you unpack the unit. All your packing decisions should be thus motivated!