If you are looking to increase the appraisal value of your home, or perhaps you just want a more functional and pleasing kitchen, then one of the first updates that you should consider are your home kitchen cabinets. Your cabinets can immediately give away the age of your home and can make the whole room look dated, even when you make the effort to update the major kitchen appliances regularly. There are several types of updates that you can do on your own in order to give your cabinets a fresh look. We spoke with a local cabinet hardware distributor to get an idea the kinds of updates that you can do on your own as well as the ones that are best left up to a professional installer.
Great Do It Yourself Projects for Kitchen Cabinets:
- If you want to give an immediate and affordable facelift to your kitchen and dining area, then consider painting the fronts of your kitchen cabinets. This is affordable and a fairly easy process. In order to prevent fingerprints in your paint and other types of smudges, make sure that you remove the doors of the cabinets first before painting. This way you can guarantee that the paint is dry before the doors are handled. This is a great option if your cabinets are in good shape and free from dents or dings.
- Update your kitchen hardware. It is the little things that tend to make a big difference in a kitchen update, so do not overlook the importance of drawer pulls and knobs or handles that are up to date. If you are looking for a way to update your kitchen but do not want to spend the extra money on new hardware, then you can always remove it completely. This will keep the kitchen cabinet faces looking streamlined and chic.
- Add or update the lighting hardware in the kitchen. Kitchen light fixtures can be a great addition to a kitchen area; after all, you will always need to have light in your kitchen! Under cabinet lighting is also very popular right now, and easy to install without the assistance of a professional. If you want to go a step further and actually add new lighting into the ceiling of your kitchen, then you may want to consider bringing in the professionals for that.
Great Projects for the Kitchen Professional:
- If you decide that your old kitchen cabinets simply have to go, then you will want to enlist the help of a professional to remove the old cabinets and install the new ones. New cabinets are great if your old ones are damaged or just too outdated to be corrected with superficial remedies. Some contractors can also update your backsplash as well, so you can have entirely new wall in the kitchen space when it is complete.
- Add updated lighting. Do not play around with electricity or live wires if you are not an electrician, but new lighting or track lighting installations are a great way to make a kitchen look larger.