Diamonds are a rare resource that must be mined to discover. Diamonds are naturally occurring and are generally found in one of two bands of land surrounding the earth, a northern band and a southern band. Though diamonds can be found and mined outside of these bands, they are almost always smaller and of lower quality overall. Because diamonds are in such high demand around the world, particularly in western culture where the diamond engagement ring is considered a status symbol and a part of nearly every engagement that occurs, diamond mining companies must always be looking to find a new stockpile of diamonds or places to mine. Some countries around the world seem to have much better diamond resources than others, making them especially poised to stay on top of the worldwide loose diamond industry. These are the top five countries around the world based on the volume of diamonds they mine.
- Russia- Russia is considered by all to have the best and largest diamond resources in the world. In one year, they can mine nearly 40 million carats worth of diamonds in all different types and colors. Part of the diamond rich northern band, Russia has long been a top producer of diamonds, with its famous mine, ALROSA, responsible for more than three quarters of their overall production.
- Botswana- The discovery place of the Lesedi la Rona, the second largest diamond to ever be found worldwide, Botswana is a country in the southern band with rich diamond resources. Though Botswana is in second place by volume of diamonds mined (nearly 24 million carats in comparison to Russia’s 40 million) Botswana’s diamond value outpaces Russia by about 500 million dollars.
- Democratic Republic of the Congo- Despite a decline in production over the last few years, the Democratic Republic of the Congo remains one of the largest diamond producers in Africa, and the third largest worldwide. Experts say that much of the Democratic Republic of the Congo has yet to be explored in regards to diamond mining because of the many small scale, independent diamond operations with few resources.
- Australia- Solidly positioned in the southern band, Australia is famous for its production of colored diamonds, particularly pink, red, yellow and purple. It’s famous and biggest mine, Argyle is the the second highest producing mine in the world, estimated to bring in more than eleven million carats per year.
- Canada- Perhaps the newest addition to the list, Canada did not really become part of the diamond industry until the early 1990’s but it entered the industry with a strong showing. Producing more than 10 million carats per year, Canadian diamonds have a particularly high value as they are from the northern band, like the diamonds found in world diamond leader, Russia.
With so many countries producing beautiful, quality diamonds, custom jewelers all over the world are able to produce amazing custom pieces with some of the most sought after diamonds around. This is what keeps the diamond industry flourishing and the people of the world adorned with gorgeous jewelery.