It’s quite difficulty suffering from cataracts. Although in its early stages the symptoms (light sensitivity, yellowish vision, difficulty night time vision, glare, etc.) can be easily mitigated by wearing special prescription glasses, once the cataract has developed further over time it can really take its toll on the quality of one’s vision sometimes making one practically blind. It is in these cases that the cataract cannot be allowed to worsen and must be treated by an ophthalmologist through the process of Cataract Surgery giving the patient much better vision and no worries about the cataract.
When someone is undergoing cataract surgery, the cataract is actually removed and that means the lens of the eye must be taken out. To replace the affected lens, the surgeon places an intraocular lens which is an artificial lens that has the right focus power for the patient to give him quality vision. Cataract surgery is quite a serious matter as it deals with quite an important sense, the sense of sight. Cataract surgeries are quite common around the US with so many people suffering from cataracts and if you want to get the best service, you have to choose a good cataract surgeon.
Your choice of cataract surgeon will determine whether you will have an acceptable or great outcome when the time comes. If you want to make sure that you won’t be needing glasses as often or not need it at all after Cataract Surgery you will want to find someone who has the right experience particular experience and expertise in working with high quality intraocular lenses.
Because of how common cataract surgeries are, you might have a friend, a colleague, or a family member who has undergone the surgical procedure. If you do know someone, you might be able to ask for a referral to a good cataract surgeon. If you are asking around for referrals make sure you ask these questions to get a better idea of the service being provided:
- Were the staff and the surgeon courteous and friendly towards you during the entire treatment process?
- Were they able to explain to you the costs and billing clearly and thoroughly?
- Was the cataract surgeon able to properly explain the details of the surgical procedure as well as things that you need to be aware of like the risks and potential complications?
- Did they make you aware of all the options you can go for as well as the types of IOLs that were available?
- Were there premium intraocular lenses in the discussion?
- Were you satisfied with the outcome? Why or why not?
- Did the surgeon properly provide follow-up care and consultations after the Cataract Surgery especially when needed?
When you are sorting through your choices of eye surgeons, make sure you take into consideration factors like how they diagnose your case, their way of treating, overall costs, etc. When meeting up with the surgeons make sure you asks many questions to get a good idea of the quality of their services.