Bad publicity is something that can affect any company or business. It doesn’t matter how small or big it is. These negative events can be the result of an expectation that was not met or some sort of miscommunication with the business. There can be varying reasons as to why this happens but when it comes to public relations, it is important for the business to know how to deal with it. Today we are going to look into nine things that can be done after a bad publicity scenario or event.
- Pay attention to the feedback of the customers. Usually negative scenarios arise from miscommunication between the business and customer. In events like this, the best approach is to trace back to the start of the problem to understand the customer and know what to do.
- Assess your response beforehand. When customers are giving negative feedback, it is quite easy to become defensive. However, for the sake of public relations, it is important to think about your response and not become frustrated or angry with the customer.
- Give acknowledgement to negative feedback. When customers are giving negative feedback, it is important that you acknowledge it and not let it sit. This will show your customers that you value their experience and working to make it better for them in the future.
- Give a proper apology when needed. Sometimes, all the customer wants is to get an apology from the company. When needed, always apologize. If you are not at fault, do not give an apology because this will come as fake towards your customers.
- Always take the right course of action. When there is an issue on the table it is only appropriate to take action on it especially if this affects your customers in any way. By doing so, you will be able to have redemption from any mistake from the past with that customer.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for time when needed. Sometimes you will be faced with situations that cannot be taken care of immediately. In cases like these, do not be afraid to ask for a little more time from the customer to ensure that the situation gets solves properly.
- When met with questions, always make use of facts to answer. Customers will have a number of inquiries about the business. When you do get questioned, make sure your answers are based on proper facts and statistics about the company without fabricating anything.
- Promote good feedback. One of the best ways to counter bad feedback is by promoting good feedback from your customers. If you have customers which have had good experiences, encourage them to provide good feedback which will provide great publicity for your business.
- Take down notes. During crisis management, it is important to take down notes as you are solving the problem. This will help you learn better from the experience and put it to good use in the future to help the company.